Friday, June 2, 2017

The Great Whatever (Thoughts on a Thursday Night, Solo). @kwamealexander

T.G.W.

In a Ford Focus,
unfocused, but focused,
I sat waiting for a writer...
    ...this fighter with words
       mightier than any pen,
before he finally appeared.

"I was on a roll, man,"
he said, putting a bag in the trunk
and adjusting his glasses.
"It's all coming together."
"But the airport is an hour away."
"But I couldn't stop."
"But these highways, man."
"But the muses."
"I know. I know.
It's okay.
Minds like ours
get exhilarated by the flow...."

youth turning around, visions of the poetic,
Skills4Life, communities of unities,
Ubuntu, and a Rooster's barnyard blues
(Ah, Ella Finchgerald and Duck Ellington).
Whirlwind. Magic. Memory. Luck.

Acoustics. I am. We are.

"It's going all the way," I say,
listening lightly to local news, buried in thought. 
"New-Bery'd," I contemplated, a fledgling with such ideas.
Radio adjusted.

I hit the gas. We accelerated.
A flight to catch. The Connecticut traffic. This poet in my car.
Hooks in the ribcage pulling us forward.
"It's the Great Whatever, man. If we make it in time."

I say this a lot.
T.G.W. - The Great Whatever
(now a band)
because whatever comes next is up to the unknown.
Predictable unpredictability.
Unpredictable predictability. 

"What's that? This Great Whatever?"

Snap.
Questioned for the 1st time about such religion.
Philosophy. A way of making sense of the world.

I talk about AnE.Rip, my grandmother,
who taught me God and Mother Nature did the nasty, 
(squeaky bed noise inserted here)
and produced a fusion of sky and soil
resulting in Maude, the Earth.
That's what she believed (the stars bathing in her lake).

"The Great Whatever.
T.G.W.
It's who I talk to. 
My Maude.
My sense of the world,
Add an 'o' to God and we get 'good' - 
      I like to believe in good
      as much as I love to believe in hope," I explain
     (and thank Brendan Kennelly for that ol' trilogy).

"I love / to believe / in greatness.
The Great Whatever.  My belief."

"Do you mind if I use it?" I hear.
"That's up to the Great Whatever,"
I say, staring into traffic.
"I don't own anything, but a wandering eye
and whacky brain," I tell him
(maybe that's what was left in the dragonfly box by Pandora).
"It's yours," I offer. "Just shout out to me when the time is right."

Notebooks. Pens. He is writing again.
Doodling. Scribbling. Scripting.
And I drive, creeping forward one day at a time.
Hamden. Hartford. Bradley.
Silence. Lost in thought. Mesmerized by ideas.

I turn the news off -
change the station to jazz.
Improvisation...
impromptu, a performance
still being written)
(And I don't mind that I'm speeding. 
because I get bewildered by deadlines -
& he has to be delivered to a 3 p.m. flight).

His life is booked.
(one rebound after another)
frogs surfing through autographs.
celebrity. The Great Whatever doing its thing....
a Blade carving magic into the world...
providing music for storytellers and readers,
and flying lessons with prose...

The Great Whatever. 
Ah, who actually knows....


No comments:

Post a Comment