Thursday, June 1, 2017

Sometimes I Just Pinch Myself And Think, "Wow! This is My Life."

Last night, I had the privilege of attending Kwame Alexander and Mary Rand Hess's premier of Solo, a young adult novel published by Blink of Harper Collins Press that will be released on August 1st.

Lucky for me, I have an advanced reading copy, so I can get a taste of the remarkable collaboration that took the team pictured here to pull off. I've learned that every written outcome is the result of a community of others, and I recognize that Kwame knows how to pull in the "best others' that are out there.

Fortunate for me, I was invited to Gibson Guitars in NYC for the launch, and was able to bring with me senior Michael J. Harding, a Political Science major who will be doing work with the Connecticut Writing Project this summer. Coincidences of all coincidences, Mary Nelson, an incredible middle school teacher from Hamden Connecticut who teaches Young Adult Literature at Fairfield University, happened to be one of two names to join Kwame Alexander in a limo ride to the event. When I learned it was here, I had to smile - no one is more deserving.

The evening was as phenomenal as I expected, but the reader in me simply wanted to run away from the studio to simply read. I know, however, that the audio book of SOLO is bound to be extra-spectacular as it will showcase the guitar playing and music of Randy, who shared his talents at Cesar Batalla school during the premiere of Surf's Up, a book about surfing frogs.

The return home was a bit harried as the weather turned to hail, winds, heavy rains, and severe lightening, but I took this storm to mean that something wicked this way comes - I anticipate it to be SOLO, which I'm now going to stop everything and read!

Phew. Feeling very lucky this morning that I was invited to such an event.

No comments:

Post a Comment