Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Going Back into RAM Mode Like I Did in 2011-2012. Phew!

My first year at Fairfield University, I often associated myself with a ram, head down, horns forward, and charging forth. I was hired with one year to complete my dissertation, while starting a career in higher education and directing a National Writing Project site. I lived in my office and every second of every day was dedicated to getting the task done.

I'm at it again.

This summer, CWP-Fairfield is hosting two teacher institutes, Young Adult Literacy Labs, and Ubuntu Academy, while I have to finalize materials for my tenure files. I know what it requires and my time is limited...every second will have to count. I know that I'm likely to put people off and not be as gregarious as I usually am, but a job needs to get done and my deadlines must be met.

(insert knocking knees, perspiration, a lot of cussing, and much prayer here)

One of the reasons I chose not to do a traditional summer institute for teachers is because I knew I would need any second I could spare to making the case for my dossier. Such seconds are not readily available, however, given the responsibilities I have as Director of CWP-Fairfield (with its commitment to K-12 teachers and youth in the area).

There's no choice in the matter, though. When in Rome, you do as Romans do. I hope not to get violent, however, but to simply do what I can while having the opportunity to do so. I am having flashbacks to when Dr. Kathleen Hinchman shared with us the summer she put her case together. She was crying and compiling and Dr. Benita Blackman looked at her and said, "Oh, I remember those days. It's not fun."

I'm going to try to make it fun, however - a celebration of what I've been able to accomplish over the last six years. Glamis is looking at me with worried eyes anticipating all to come. Okay, I'm projecting that onto her. She's actually looking out the window waiting for Chitunga to come home.

One day at a time! 115 Canisius Hall will be seeing a lot of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment