Thursday, July 6, 2017

Wednesday Is Over. Now Bring On Thursday. We Got This Cuz We Rock This

I was thrilled to bring Akbar, Kanye, Will, Ali, and Dave with me to the National Endowment of the Humanities Institute at Fairfield University studying Hip Hop. I'm not a hip hop guy, but they brought me in to discuss instruction, and I was able to highlight the Refugee Trilogy project from last summer, while showcasing the amazing work of teachers and students. All three of my boys: Ali, Kanye, and Akbar, were phenomenal with the teachers.

Dave was a mastermind with his hip hop verse.

William was a king with his intellect and ability to bring everyone together onto the same page. He has a way with words that has everyone sitting on the edge of their seats wanting more. He gets the relocated refugee youth and adds so much to the conversation.

As the 33 teachers from across the United States learned about Ubuntu Academy, CWP, and relocation stories, I realized that the word "mesmerized" is an understatement. People want to know more about these stories and how to teach them.

We got home around 6:30 p.m. and were invited to a barbecue at the marina down thread. Sad as it is, I didn't know it was there. It was beautiful, though, to see the sun set, to have chicken and strawberries, and to break the day with a beautiful summer night on the water. I was impressed. I hope the kids were, too.

There's something about being on water that totally centers me and makes me feel human. I guess it is the Aquarian nature within me.

Bottom line, though. Ubuntu!



No comments:

Post a Comment