Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Sick Puppy Dog, Puts a Monkey Wrench Into American Economics. Phew

Glam Bam came back from her shots on Friday (and a pedicure) feeling a little dopey, but in good spirits for the weekend. The vet called on Saturday and asked how she was and I reported she was fine.

Then the vomit began. She couldn't keep anything down. Although here spirits were up, she walked, and she loved like she always does, every time she ate (and she had an appetite) she got sick. Of course the vet office wasn't open until Monday, so I let it ride out. She, however, vomited Sunday night and I awoke to it Monday morning.

That was it. I had to call her vet, Steph, to see if there is a possible reaction to slight tranquilizers, as this was abnormal behavior for her. The vet said no, and said she recommended X-rays to see what was going on. I began to channel my sister, KC, and her dog whose intestines and stomach twisted and I got really nervous. A few hours later, I heard this wasn't the case - they also said she had a perfect examination.

So what could it be, I wondered. Steph thought, "Well, dogs react to a lot of change in their lives and drama. Maybe you had new people move in and then move out. Maybe there was a lot of action at your house that she wasn't used to, and new stimulation on a daily basis for a while, and then perhaps that all changed quickly. That might make a dog nervous and vomit for a while."

And I wondered, "Couldn't you tell me that before medical procedures that cost $$$$. I would have a melodramatic, hypochondriac dog that costs a fortune because she's anxious about change in her life. As I paid, I kept thinking about the expense of dogs and the reality of the work I do, and I was thinking, "How can such a medical bill for a dog be justified?" I know we love our creatures but when I think about the extreme poverty I work with and the how far I can make a dollar go, it seems somewhat troublesome that so many dollars go to maintaining a nervous dog. My eyes bug out of my head, because she has no idea how much she cost me just to make a statement, "Enough with all the changes at Mt. Pleasant."

Um. You're a dog. Deal with it.

I am, however, thankful she is okay, and I'm hopeful she'll be able to keep the food she at down for a while. It's been a rather gross few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment