Sunday, July 16, 2017

Burgers, Gardens, Elm City Soccer, Bourbon, and a Championship Game

Was invited to my friend Kathy's house last night for burgers, salad, bourbon, and soccer. She and Mike, her husband, as well as Sal (Bassick High School soccer team coach) and his son, invited Ali, Kanye and I to the Elm City Soccer Club game (which was a championship game for their bracket).

We were there to cheer on Tavoy "Bull" Morgan, who played for them one year as a senior in high school, after he arrived to Bridgeport, Connecticut from Jamaica. Most recently, however, he was the MITRE National Player of the Week.

After they let him in the 2nd half we could see why...he scored within seconds.



Kathy, who is now a vice principal and was once an art teacher who taught Tavoy - hence, her garden (where everything is positioned creatively) - provided a wonderful space to kick off the event. All I had to bring were chips, hummus and brownies, and Michael handled the grill (perfect cheeseburgers by Mike). Kathy made a great salad, too, before the game (which was a lot of fun because they played on Yale's field and the seating was up close and personal. It made the competition that much more interesting).

As the game began, Kathy said, "The start off is always my favorite part. The huddle. It is where everything comes together for teamwork and community."

I said, "Yep, it's Ubuntu."

And it's Sunday. Think I will get some rest? I hope so...I can use it.




No comments:

Post a Comment