Tuesday, December 12, 2017

@WritingProject I Owe You a Cake. Great Whatever Intervention Last Night

I overplanned for Monday night. I knew I had to get back to back graduate courses prepared, and I wanted to bring them the Kentucky cake (what I call it), but forgot the heavy cream, so needed to run out in the frigid air to Big Y. When I returned, I preheated the oven and went to the laptop to get the recipe, when the alert went off that I had a NWP Zoom meeting.

Zip. Zap. Zoom.

I turned off the oven, and was thankful that my cake excursion prompted a reminder about the meeting. It was on my calendar, but that is all digital, and if I didn't check my computer (my phone was charging), I may have missed the call.

I am always rejuvenated when in a room (or digital space) with the NWP family. We all know that our work ahead remains important, but that so much has changed quickly in education and the professional development model that we know is effective and brilliant. As a result, we have to think outside the box more than ever before. We need one another, too, as a community of like-minded individuals who want the best for America's youth and their teachers.

As I listened to updates from other sites, and the expertise of clever minds, my mind began racing with possibilities for what comes next. We are in the business of creating communities, because we have one of the most powerful teaching communities this nation has ever seen.

My graduate students will be enjoying the cake tomorrow night, but as the smell wafted throughout my house I realized something. I need to bake this cake for everyone in the NWP community as a thank you for being awesome, for being supportive, for providing hope, and for always making magic for our K-18 classrooms. Yes, my students benefit from the baking, but because of the baking, I was incited to get online and fast!

Now, if only Crazy Crandall could open a bakery to make 200 cakes to be delivered to sites around the world! Now, that would be an undertaking. For now, sadly, we only get a blog post...

...but it is thoughts that count!

Love to the N, the W, and the P! 

No comments:

Post a Comment