Friday, December 15, 2017

Beginning with Potential Beginners and Ending with Professional Achievers

 Yes, it snowed yesterday, but there were interviews to be conducted and worried about the roads, I hit 95 at 8 a.m. (interesting, it was eerily quiet and I got to campus in record time...no one was on the roads...and they were plowed).

My colleague, Ryan, however, had the opposite experience as he drove south from the north. 3.5 hours. He made it, however, in time to close of the interviews.

We had fantastic individuals looking to pursue a career in teaching, and I couldn't help but snap a photo of their thinking about a schooling conundrum they're like to face and how they would tackle the issue. Yes, at Fairfield, we give a task to potential students to problem solve together so we can quickly initiate the importance of community.

From there, Ryan and I had a department meeting, which is also a changing community, but one with tremendous promise and a lot of new energy for everything that is arriving as tomorrow, but soon will be yesterday.

I got home just in time to join the C(3)WP  community, our grant-funded opportunity to work with teachers in the field on numerous tools to support argumentation in the classroom. Kristin Veenema did a phenomenal job leading the dialogue and highlighting several wonderful tools provided by the National Writing Project (seriously, the online ZOOM session was extremely useful and every task we experienced is one I'd implement in a middle or high school writing classroom tomorrow).

So, the day went from potential newbies at the University, to colleagues in a department meeting, to teachers thirsty for new knowledge from the luxury of my home. No, they weren't physically here, but we held a digital session.

But this morning, I have to stay home to way for the furniture company who assembled legs onto my new couch set, chair and ottoman, but did a half-@$$ job. They are coming to fix their error and they gave me a window of 3 hours where they will do it. I love such appointments!

Seriously, it will give me an opportunity to write from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment