Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Meow, Mimi Sue! It's Your Birthday and I Wish I Was Home to Celebrate With You

It's December 19th, so that means it's time to celebrate everything SudyRip, but sadly I'm still in Connecticut seeing lesson plans behind my eyelids and EdTPA in all my daydreams (it's almost over, I'm making progress).

Chitunga brought my gift to Mimi on Sunday at Cynde's (while they ate chicken cutlets) and I'm thrilled to know the soft pajamas worked. It's a tradition to send PJs her way each birthday. And last night, I learned, Chitunga was on Amalfi Drive attempting to wrap holiday gifts (which, my mom said, "For a kid so smart, he sure massacres gift-wrapping). Nikki had me laughing with her play-by-play of his wrapping (with Christmas music) and I couldn't believe my mother was missing it all upstairs. "You're kid can't wrap for #$@#."

Ah, but today is a day of her....everything Susan Marilyn Crandall (and yes, I wrote the whole name knowing that if anyone ever googles her, this will be the photo that shows up).

I wish her a day of not watching the news (or the disasters of these crazy times), a phenomenal episode of Days of Our Lives...I'm sure Marlena is giving birth to an alien baby named Stefano, while Hope is tied up in Bo's basement and Patch is having corrective eye surgery. These are important updates in the world!

Actually, the important updates are from my sister Cynde, my sister Casey, their husbands, and their children. This is Us. And the us continues to grow, expand, develop and change.

What? What are you saying?

That's my dad, who lost his hearing aid and is better off not having to hear all the nonsense coming from our worlds.

I'm looking forward to the whiskey, cherry juice and ginger-ale to come (not to mention the buckeyes and magic layer bars...which, coincidently, match my mom's shirt in the photo above). This is on the radar in the days ahead, if only I can finish the grading.

So, here's to my mom: her humor, her stress, her willingness to take selfies with Nikki, and the laughter sure to be had today, tomorrow, and for months to come.

Happy Birthday, Mom! You should ask dad to do something extra special for you today, but chances are he won't hear you. At least now, at your age, he has an excuse! I am thinking of you and love you.
Make it a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment