Thursday, December 7, 2017

Steal This! Take It! Work With It! @writingproject @ncte There's Time Before the 12th

So, I was reading online and heard about "Trim-a-beard" and an activity where kids are given 12 tasks to do leading up to the holiday that some celebrate as Christmas, and I thought, "This is wonderful."

I looked into it, but couldn't find anything online but beards with fonts that were too small for me to read.

When Crandall can't find what he's looking for, but has an idea, he's crazy enough to make it himself.

I shared with some of my graduate students and some elementary teachers quickly jumped on it immediately, and create 12 items for their students, but also templates so that kids could create 12 tasks of their own.

The action is simple: each day, beginning the 12 days before Christmas, you read the task to be done and you trim Santa's beard until he's left with a mustache.

It's a variation of the advent calendar, without the chocolate.

It's also a promotion of random acts of kindness which I prefer much more. Give. Give. Give. Appreciate. Appreciate. Appreciate.

Administrative assistants at the University printed out a few copies in color for me (without asking) and I handed them out at an Advisory Board meeting last night and said, "Here. I made you Fridge Art for the holidays...something to guide the spirit through December." I came home from work and threw a few noggins into Santa's beard for others I know would appreciate the creativity, so too can spread good cheers into the world.

I know most don't want another thing to do, but I'm thinking about little kids at home and giving them a good deed every day to distract them from the inevitable excitement of getting so many gifts that they've asked the big guy for.

Feel free to save this photo and hang it wherever you have scissors. Sharing the magic. That's what it is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment