Sunday, December 24, 2017

Mimi Sue Says Enjoy Your Holiday Cookies Today & Tomorrow (YUM)

After harsh words and a tough scolding, I had to laugh that I opened up the cupboard, moved a container of raisins, and there was my mother's Gulf Wax. My older sister lit into me because my mom complained to her that I rearranged her cupboards over the summer, putting spices in all the wrong places and cookie supplies where they don't belong.

"What cookies require Gulf Wax?"

It turns out that my mother's secret ingredient to her Buckeyes (what gives them the extra shine) is a little bit of wax in the chocolate.

Cynde found out it's hard to find anymore, as a result of the fact it is toxic to people. Actually, I read up on it last night and learned it acts more like a laxative and pushes right through the human body (which I am skeptical of, because how many holidays of overeating cookies have I not been bound up like a clogged sink from all the food?).

Rules are rules, though, and the cookies do not get brought out until after dinner on Christmas Eve (today) and despite being told of the unnecessary, there will be creamed potatoes on the table to go with the ham. I may eat a meatball...the new edition to the ritual, but I'm not touching the turkey (no matter if it was a prized bird or not - that's Thanksgiving food). I would agree with Nikki, though, and make an argument that brussels sprouts would make a nice new edition to the yearly meal.

I need the ham, green bean casserole, and creamed potatoes. They are a must before eating a buckeye with paraffin wax and the Magic Layer Bars. I'm a creature of habit and I like my holiday food. Of course, I also love the Crandall/Isgar/Barnwell holiday traditions of celebrating a love of the world on Christmas Eve night.

There's never been a flake like Mike. Nope, not ever.

Be safe. Enjoy the crazy. Trust kindness. Choose love. And simply absorb the festivity. It's time to boil the potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment