Sunday, September 17, 2017

Three Years Ago When I Was Less Gray. Oi Vay. Academic Life is Aging Me.

Three years ago, friends and I had a spur-of-the-moment gathering in Walnut Beach, Milford, to watch a full moon rise and to say goodbye to summer.

 I should report that the gathering began much before a moon-rising and, lo and behold, several pink flamingoes joined our entourage (thanks to Shirley). I simply remember the evening being beautiful, cool, relaxing, and full of joy.

I don't remember being pre-gray and looking like I was still in my 20s. This photo popped up yesterday and I was like, "Jimminy Crickets...I've aged SOOOOOOO much the last 3 years."

It's true. I ache. I can't see. It takes me forever to get moving. I tire easily. And all gray in the beard and sideburns. I'm blaming this totally on the academic life...of course, my father, too, didn't age until his 40s. I guess that is one thing I inherited from him. But I look so young here...doesn't seem like it was only 3 years ago. Man...that ram mode did not dwell for my physique and youth. Rather, it time zoned me into the future.

And I am thinking about this particular night because it was so spur of the moment, so wonderful, and so special....friends gathering to be silly and stupid and middle aged and still youthful and mischievous and in love with life and near a beach.

I think I need another one of these nights.....

...at least before October hits. When's the next full moon?

No comments:

Post a Comment