Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Slight Calm Before the Chaos. Sometimes I Do Know How To Chill

After the massive soaking on Sunday, Monday delivered blue skies, high temperatures and a true excuse to take the afternoon off (that's Leo entering the water). The texts came in stereo warning that I needed to take a break. "Come on," they said. "You need to give yourself  a few hours of rest."

I was working on another syllabi when the invites came. "If I can finish by 1 p.m., I will come for a little while."

I finished. Well, I made a deal with myself that I was close enough to finishing that I should join friends for sand, sunshine, drinks, and conversation. "Come on, Crandall. These days are unwinding, and there won't be many more."

It was gorgeous. I didn't capture all the para-surfers that patterned the water with color and movement (or the poor kayakers that couldn't find strength to paddle against the winds and currents). Ah, seagulls, lobster rolls (not me), and landscape. I needed it.

Of course, afterwards we went into a beach store and Leo got permission from Bev to buy shoes, so I picked up a pair of kicks, too. Cool imports (Inkkas) that will go with the tie they purchased for me a few weeks ago. It makes me want to throw back to my college days and to wear those gigantic, heavy wool sweaters that had all the seeds lodged in them - that would be a good look.

But, that 4 hours is over and with that, so is summer. Back to back grad classes tonight and a full day of meetings.  I will be living by the copier today, too, getting the requisite number of things printed out for the first night.

And here's the good news! I didn't go into my office once on Sunday or Monday. I managed to stay away, even though I know that I have to finish a number of items (I just took a break from them as I set the pace for the new semester).

Here we go...year 40. Phew! Never a break from school!

No comments:

Post a Comment