Sunday, September 3, 2017

It Smells, It's Torn Up, It's Seen Better Days, But Now What?

On my way back from the office last night, I drove through Milford and hopped from furniture store to furniture store looking for something to replace the couch and oversized chair I picked up when I was in my mid-twenties and living in Kentucky. The Pee Wee Herman furniture was my first big adult purchase and as soon as I saw it in the window, I knew I needed the tackiness. It has served me well in four homes and offered rest to three dogs (plus guests) for over 20 years. The cushions, however, are completely torn and the pillows (although re-stuffed once) have lost their original comfort. Sunlight has faded the print and the piping is coming off at the seams. Man, I love these pieces and it is sad that I know it is time for the replacement.

I don't mean to be a bummer, but the selection out there in furniture land is totally dismal. I am looking for something that can have character, but be dog friendly (most importantly, to hide the hairs that fall of Glamis like a waterfall). I'm not a fan of letting dogs on the couches, but Glamis is stubborn and uses them to leap onto the bay window to people and squirrel watch, plus she likes to retire her claws while she plops her body on all the pillows.

I think I hit seven stores and one thing is true of them all: sales people are plain annoying and creepy. They hover around you like vultures, preying upon your purchase like slime mold. I told all of them, "I'll know what I want when I see it."

I didn't see it. I found one that I thought, "Okay, this might work." It was comfortable, neutral, and easy to section (plus it was on clearance and cheap), but it was sold.

Furniture selections are just plain awful. Some of the ones that are nicer looking are terrible to sit on. I like the leathers, but that would be stupid, and I am thinking that I might just go with a series of recliners (which is what I really want).

Nothing. I came home to plop in my Crandall corner chair that I got at Pier One (yes, it's a Crandall chair by name) and decided, perhaps I can get one more winter out of the pieces I already have. Maybe I should invest in some couch covers to buy some time - the rips really are bad and embarrassing. It's just that the structure of the ol' furniture is sound and someone who has the means should reupholster it. But with what material? Where?

I have no clue.

And yuck. Those sales people. I think they will haunt me for many days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment