Thursday, September 14, 2017

It's Official. This Fall Semester Opener Really Does Stink. Literally

I knew it was a matter of time. I had a hunch. It happened to me in Cicero when I lived by the swamps, and I'm still not over that experience. Actually, I was telling Kaitlyn when we walked the dogs last night that a black and white rodent had been wandering my neighborhood and I live in fear of the day she meets Glamis.

We've always seen occasional skunks in the neighborhood and have smelled them more often than viewed them. The old guy behind me is in the habit of feeding squirrels and Glamis, when she sees them, loves to jump the fence and chase them up the trees. Skunks love the treats, too.

Last night, when Glamis ran off the deck and I heard the leap over the fence I thought, "Damn it. Squirrel." Nope. I heard the coughing. Then the smell came.

THEN THE #$@#$ SMELL CAME!

LePew got the dumb dog. Ugh. I knew it.

Then I had to go get her, moved her inside, and did the bath, trying to minimize how much she touched . Yuck. Irish Spring is all I had...and Pantene. It is what it is and then I had a wet dog smelling of skunk, Ireland, and Pam's CVS shampoo collection. I closed all the bedroom doors so she wouldn't get on the bed and located her to the dog bed on the floor in the dining room. Let me stink that up. She's not thrilled. I'm furious.

The good news, however, is the spray was on the top of her head and I could see the wet spot (looked like someone sprinkled water on her). It was only a squirt and I could work with that. Trust me, when Baby was sprayed in Cicero, she was drenched in white foam from head to paw.. This stinky turd only had minor leakage to spare. It was enough, but it could have been worse.

I've gone all summer without putting Glamis on a lead when she's out back because she's been real good of only chasing things in the backyard. Nope. Not last night. She went for the kill over the fence, knowing that with everything else going on in my world (just a little much these days) the added (inhale skunk) flavor is just what I needed.

This stinks. It really really stinks. But that's the way the journey rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment