Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Op-Eds, Mentor Texts, Model Lessons, Inclusion, and Promoting Youth Perspectives Makes Me Happy.

The greatest part of teaching my graduate courses is the 22 years I have in K-12 schools and all the rich professional development experiences I have with teachers, especially as a  National Writing Project Director. The opportunities I've had to promote writing instruction offer me trial and error for what works and doesn't work. This, coupled with course readings, allows to design lessons to demonstrate the scholarship in action (included editorials written my classroom teachers - here, Kim Herzog of Staples High School - after lessons during the summer).

Last night, we were able to look at mentor texts written by teachers, and then mentor texts written by students that follow a similar set of lessons. Last night, I was able to carry forth these lessons to make connections with the graduate students I'm teaching, by offering connections from the texts, with the practical applications as carried out by local teachers and school districts.

Having local high school students in my classes, too, allow the instruction to be much more authentic. "Hey, are you jiving with this? Is this something you can do? More importantly, is it something you want to do?"

Last night, I was highly impressed when the high school students jumped up and, without a hierarchy, and added knowledge to the ongoing 'learning' that occurred with the graduate students. In one class, we looked at arranging reading lessons over a period of time and read that youth are unlikely to sustain time reading, given the volume of material. Yet, using suggestions from the course texts, we tried a few exercises, and I had to point out to the graduate students that we actually covered four articles in 75 minutes and, lo and behold, their was high interest and interaction (and these are with students who were already in school all day and who participate in after school activities). Still, the attention was there and the interaction superb.

I also laughed when I noticed that the kids had a few seconds to write a note on the board because, well, I forgot I also bring dinner for the kids to eat between classes (discovered great sandwiches and wraps at a store on my way to campus). Yes, the food brings a smile to my face, too.

I know we are heading to the day of thankfulness and I have to say, I'm very thankful for the high school kids co-teaching my courses with me. They may all our learning that much more magical.

And now, I begin to prepare my Thanksgiving feast. When I got home last night I thought, "Wow, for a couple of days I can concentrate on something else for a short while." For now, it will be the literacy of turkey and gravy. Sometimes, I need to count my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment