Sunday, November 19, 2017

Okay @NCTE in St. Louis '17, Thank You. It Couldn't Have Culminated Any Better Than It Did

This is an English teacher story.

23 years ago, I packed up a Toyota Tercel, my books and my dreams, and I moved to Kentucky to earn a Masters Degree in teaching in a state renowned for writing portfolios and educational reform. Almost as soon as I arrived, I met Sue McV, my Louisville mom and mentor, who allowed me to student teach with her and who took me under her wings not only for a year in her classroom care, but for my life and adventures ever since.

I always say that everything I've ever needed to learn about teaching came from Sue. This is true, but so many have been added to the wisdom mixture ever since, including Dee Hawkins, a stellar educator who taught at Central High School (where Cassius Clay attended) and was the first teacher to model the importance of getting political.

They were Louisville Writing Project people. They were Kentucky. They were best practices. They were NCTE. They were pro-literacy, pro-students, pro-democracy, and pro-community.

Fast forward. Sue still lives in Louisville, but Dee retired (sort of, she's volunteering with St. Louis's homeless community) and I knew a trip could not occur without seeing her. When I received a text from Sue to say she was driving 4 hours to take me to dinner, I couldn't resist. I was lucky, too, to bring some of my Connecticut Writing Project crew along with me. I said, "Sue and Dee, meet some of your grandchildren."

Yesterday was a whirlwind of presentations and I am beyond proud of the teachers who shared the work we do in Connecticut. They were amazing (sadly, Shaun, Kristin, Kim and Dave couldn't attend). Still, we were able to share teaching stories, visions, and the hard work (and passion) it takes to work in American schools.

Sue, Dee, & Me (my wings)
Sadly, my flight to return home was scheduled for very early this morning, so the evening had to be cut short. I realize though - - beyond the presentations, beyond the handouts, beyond the networking, and beyond the planning for more work to come - - the foundation that Sue and Dee made for me is irreplaceable. They are the best of Louisville, the Queens of English teaching, and amazing individuals. I couldn't be happier that I had a brief moment in time to meet with these Divas once again...I just wished that every teacher across the U.S. could be guided and mentored by these two.

NCTE, you were inspiration once again. I am, because we are. It is Ubuntu and I look forward to next year when we come forth with more of the magic. Now it is time to rest.

But I'm recharged, because I had dinner with the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment