Wednesday, November 15, 2017

And He's Off to @WritingProject and @NCTE '17. Leaving On a Jet Plane

I have my one pager. I have my downloaded apps. The teachers presenting with me in varying capacities have their flights and hotel rooms. I taught back-to-back graduate classes last night after a day of several meetings, and I packed my bags last night. There are several meals cooked and ready in the refrigerator for the dog sitters.

The house was cleaned on Monday night (I hate coming home to a house that I haven't tended before leaving, including an emptied dishwasher, laundry caught up and folded, clean linens on the bed, and a letter written with emergency numbers).

And I'm heading to one of my favorite events of the year to be reunited with so many in my literacy family who have guided my path, success, curiosities, and pursuits. Yes, CWP-Fairfield will be represented in a number of conference sessions, but the real joy comes from the hugs and high-fives of literacy colleagues across the nation.

Of course, I didn't make my dinner last night until 10 p.m. and I pulled together four alarm clocks to get me up in time to catch my flight. It's been a long while since I've been in St. Louis and although the weather looks groggy gray, wet, and rather cool, it could always be worse (we're insight most of the time anyway).

Whatever I've forgotten will be missed, but I tried my best to be on top of my game. Glamis knows I'm going. Even though I packed a day earlier than usual, she senses my departure - that's what she does and I will get the aloof treatment when I return.

At this point, I'm simply ready to put my fate into the hands of the Great Whatever. I've done what I could to get ready for this trip, and now it is up to airlines, traffic, and a belief in confirmed reservations that everything is all set. Then, I wait patiently for my team to arrive safely where we can celebrate all we've been up to since last year.

Here's to the work!

No comments:

Post a Comment