Thursday, October 19, 2017

Yesterday, A Sunrise (and Then a Sunset) with Colleagues - That Means a Lot.

My morning yesterday began with writing, but was quickly followed by a Poetry For Peace meeting with the co-directors, Dr. Elizabeth Boquet and poet Carol Ann Davis. For the last few years, they have built, stabilized and maximized an incredible Fairfield University tradition. 10 a.m. and I was convinced that a double espresso cappuccino would be good for me.

Okay, so I left buildings with a cape around my neck and only realized I was far from invincible when I crashed last night.

Seriously, these two are incredible and I realize how unusual college teaching is in comparison to K-12 teaching. On our campus, those who are like minded find one another and aren't necessarily united by curriculum and shared responsibilities. Instead, the roads cross where interests lie.

Then, in the afternoon, I met again with Dr. Beth Boquet to share her expertise with a teacher from Joel Barlow and another from Central. It is just awesome to see the vision she has, and how so much of her wisdom can be shared with K-12 schools. I was definitely sandwiched in excellence and I am happy for that.

The rest of my day was spent in a faculty meeting and doing a 1.5 hour workshop with undergraduates in a Philosophy of Education course (which was a lot of fun, because I practiced some of what I want to deliver at NCTE next month).

And that brings me to this morning. One meeting at noon, and the rest of the day I am prepping for the craziness of all to come. In the meantime,  smile. That's what I got yesterday morning at the coffee shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment