Monday, October 9, 2017

Then You Learn Your Favorite Children's Book Was Turned Into Claymation. Childhood.

Miss Twiggley's Tree from Bix Pix Entertainment, Inc. on Vimeo.
While still in Kentucky and promoting K-12 literacy, my juniors did an exercise on children's books which prompted me to search for Miss Twiggley's Tree in the early days of the Internet. I found the book and then, for Christmas, gave both my sister's a copy. I'm not sure if Casey's boys were even born yet, and it seems like Nikki was very young.

Maybe that memory is warped, but I do recall buying copies of the book for everyone, but never purchased it for myself.

Flashback. Miss Twiggley's Tree was a staple for me visiting my Grannie Annie at her camp on Loch Lebanon. I loved the rhyme and rhythm of the book (very Seussian and much like my Grandma's poetry). I also liked the story, although I didn't make the connection of eccentricity, individuality, and 'care for all' at the time. I just knew this lady lived in a tree with a dog named Puss and few bears (not losing the truth, too, that I live with a dog named Glamis and a few beers).

As an adult, rereading the book, I picked up more on her quirkiness and oddities, and was humored that she, like Trelawney in the Harry Potter series, was an odd duck - I'm always been a sycophant of the odd ducks.

Then, yesterday, while chatting with a friend who lives in the pan-handle of Florida who was telling me about Hurricane Nate blowing at her windows, I asked, "Do you know Miss Twiggley's Tree?" She did not. I went online to order the book, but hit a better jackpot. Apparently someone turned the story into 22 minutes of claymation and now it is available on Vimeo (hopefully viewable above).

Of course, viewing the video tickled me, because it was an even a better story than I remembered. A kid growing older upstate NY doesn't have much context for the reality of hurricanes in the Caribbean and south. Age brings that.

What interested me in the viewing, however, is the metaphor Miss Twiggley actually has for empathy, kindness, care, and assistance. She minds her own business and lives as she does. She doesn't show her true colors, in fact, until the flood waters reach her town. Then, heroically, she opens her trees to others, even the Mayor's wife who scorned her early on.

Interesting to put this book in context with all those displaced in Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico because of natural disaster. Interesting to put this in context with earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, and droughts. I would argue, too, interesting to put this in context with man-made disasters - those where human beings cause harm to other human beings (as is the case of the young men and women I've worked with through refugee relocation services). Interesting to put this in context with civil wars, poverty, hunger, and globalization.

I suppose there's two ways to live a life: one hanging hammocks and showing love for others and the other with resistance and fear. Not to be political, but Miss Twiggley's Tree is political - she offers refuge for the tired, the poor (souls), and the hungry. In this sense, she is heroic.

There's a time in every life when we will need support and love from those around us who are more fortunate and blessed than we are. None of us will avoid tragedy, but I wonder how many of us will treat others in the way that we'd want to be treated (the Golden Rule). I am curious (actually witnessing) who amongst us put actions side by side with words. Yes, the story is political.

For me, it's Miss Twiggley all the way. I guess a younger, skinnier, more innocent Crandall knew this as a little boy, finding connection with the book. What a surprise to revisit it and to realize that there was a core within me from a very naive age that has stayed true to the sojourn and the quest of my present life. I'd much rather hang with bears and dogs, then live in town with the Mayor's wife. Still, when her spiteful, cold, and heartless demeanor comes to visit during a hard time, I'm likely to take her in, too.

Add an 'o' to God, and we have Good. It seems to me that most of us, maybe less than I thought, know what it means to do good and to be good in the 21st century. Others, however (sadly, many in the name of Christianity and church) will barricade such kindness towards fellow human beings (and I'll never understand the hypocrisy of this).

Here's to you, Miss Twiggley. You guide my life 40 years later and I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment