Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Well, That Was a Downpour. Me Walking To My Car Last Night

Well, walking to the car last night at Fairfield University after a 14 hour day was quite the adventure. First, parking is atrocious on campus because of construction. When I arrived, I only found a spot on the opposite side of the campus from where my office resides. It was fine coming in, but when my last class ended, the skies opened up, and we all had to leave in an absolute downpour. It's just that I had to walk almost a mile to get to my car.

I was in new suede shoes. They are drenched. My pants were drenched. My book bag was drenched.

I made it okay, but then I had to drive. The roads were flooded and it was slow driving. Cars were on the side of the road after hydroplaning. When I finally made it to my exit, all the underpasses to get to my side of Stratford were small lakes. Cars were covered up to the windows. They tried to pass through. A lot of moisture fell to the Connecticut Earth in a really short period of time. I ended up going back on the highway and exiting east of my town, so I could climb back roads to meander to my house. This strategy worked.

Soaked. That's what last night wrought, and I made it home, albeit it much later than I'm used to. I came home, however, to a surprise. Penguin Books/Random House sent me a gift of several children and young adult novels that will debut this spring. It felt like Christmas morning.

I need this morning to dry off some and to regroup. Pour Glamis, though, won't go outside because it keeps coming down. Driving, I thought of the floods and Houston and really felt for them. In a few intersections, the water rose so high that it was hitting up against homes and I imagine seeped into their first floors and basements. I simply think too much came down too rapidly.

Phew. Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment