Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Look Mom! Cheaters! And Those are the Soles of My Running Shoes, Glamis! Argh!

 I spent yesterday in my office preparing 4.5 hours of instruction because I will be spending the day in 4 hours of a minors/majors fair, followed by meeting a candidate for a position at Fairfield University, followed by meetings, and followed by guilt before I actually teach.

In preparation, literary analysis. Texts inform, even fiction, and that is the intent of one of my courses tonight, knowing that I have traditionalists who love the classics, but I want to point out how Young Adult literature can foster deep, intellectual thought. I had several copies of Angus Bethune by Chris Crutcher on my shelves from a summer workshop, and decided to put them to work (hmmm. someone put the short story online). It's a coming of age story, late 20th century style, and I want to do a comparison of the text with one that is more traditional - a piece from an Irish Literature anthology that also questions 'parenting' in the role of what it means to be successful in school.

And look at those glasses. That's how I'm reading these days, because it's totally a blur otherwise.  It's all good. At least I'm still reading.

When I got home, however, I saw the bits and pieces all over the house. I knew what it was...the sole of my New Balance sneakers. They came out when I got home from gym last night. I thought, "Either Glamis will grab this (or the mice)."

Glamis got to them. She did it to spite me because I was gone a long time yesterday (and it will be much, much worse today). I realize she didn't go full-throttle beast, however, but just enough to let me know that I'm a schmuck. She wasn't happy that I was gone all day and now I need to get inserts because running without them makes for discomfort.

Okay, Crandall. You got this day. Hold your breath and you'll be home by 10 p.m. before you know it. (For all concerned readers, I have made arrangements for Glamis so she isn't neglected the entire day.

No comments:

Post a Comment