Friday, October 27, 2017

Frog-Love for a Friday; Genre Love and Literacy Love For the Weekend

Yesterday afternoon, Chitunga sent me a picture of his desk, a cubicle, where he is crunching numbers at his new internship. He wanted me to know that I am represented, because he has a frog that is holding all of his pens.

I had to laugh when seeing this - it looks like something my Grannie Annie would have in her home, except she'd use it to store all the dead flies she swatted throughout the week. I love the creature. I love the sentiments. I love the history.

Frog. Gorf. Who'd of thunk it?

I spent yesterday grading content-area literacy projects for graduate students deconstructing the genres of their discipline and the academic literacies the should support to reach achievement with their students as thinkers, doers, readers, writers, and communicators. I learned French, Spanish, Biology, geometry, literature, and equations along the way, as I worked with the materials they deconstructed for me and discussed the parts they have to help their future (sometimes present) students to be more proficient in their field.

I should have gotten to the presentations of another graduate class who read independent texts and showcased their new learning in brochure form - yes, brochure form. I had a point, as I have had in the past. I'm likely to write more about this later, because this particular crew did a bang-up job.

Today, however, I am prepping for an afternoon presentation with the Read.Write.Act online conference and getting my house together to host a Stratford-living English faculty mini-October gathering. It's my excuse to clean - have friends over and then you need to be semi-domestic.

I am going back to the frog on Chitunga's desk, though. That (this) and this (that) alone makes my heart grow ten times its natural size. I love the cross-generational influence my Grannie Annie has had. It's wonderful to have daily reminders of her influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment