Saturday, April 1, 2017

Stratford Getting Recognized Because of 10th Grade Art! Congrats, Sarah Harrison

I learned yesterday that a 10th Grader at Bunnell High School in Stratford, Connecticut (1.5 miles from my Mt. Pleasant home and on my daily trail of running) was awarded the 2017 Doodle4Google contest. The task: envision a future for the world.

I love this. Not only does the artwork represent the pastiche of America (the nation I love to pledge allegiance to), but it represents the super diversity that I've experienced in my work with K-12 schools. There are times I wish that we saw more of this representation in our national leadership, television programming, and teaching force. Sarah Harrison got it right! I live by a middle school and every morning at 7:30 I watch the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders walking by my house. They are a medley of heterogeneity and it makes me smile every day.

Because of her artwork - and note, ART IS BEING CELEBRATED, the student received a $30,000 scholarship for college, a trip to Googolplex out west, and a free Chromebook (well, an Apple would be a much better computer for such an artist, but she should be thankful).

What's also cool is that Bunnell High School will receive a $50,000 grant to boost their STEM programs: science, technology, engineering, and math.

The student noted that she dreams of a future "where everyone is safe and accepted wherever they go, whoever they are."

This was the best news I read all week and Harrison's artwork put a tiny bit of hope back in my heart.

Congratulations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment