Wednesday, April 12, 2017

As I Learned In the Hallways of a Bridgeport School. #Promise

Don't tell anyone, but yesterday I was desperate and I stopped at Burger King. I ran from last minute revisions, to meetings, to advising, to meetings, to advising, to another meeting and before I knew it I was at 7 p.m. I was hungry and there was fast food.

I stopped fast. I ordered fast. I waited fast. And I ate fast.

Then the regret came.

Today, however, is full of possibilities. I am picking up Akbar Niyonkuru and meeting Attallah Sheppard at Hill Central Academy for their Annual Poetry Slam. There, 19 middle school poets will compete as they pour their hearts out in verse and performance. Upon my return, I will pack up for a short trip to Syracuse to enjoy spring and the Easter holiday with family (while prepping for frantic days on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday when I return. Actually, the rest of the semester is frantic.

But this, too, will pass, because Today is full of possibilities.

I am reminded of this every time I visit a school and work with youth and their teachers. Whenever I lose hope in the world, I'm reminded by them that everything is possible.

The guilt from the food also plagued my head that my house needed a cleaning. I hate returning to a pig sty, so did my best to make it presentable for my return.

Too much, but I love every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment