Monday, March 13, 2017

Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Rally for Bridgeport Refugees, Great Sunday

Almost 20 years ago, I attended a Ladysmith Black Mambazo concert in Louisville, Kentucky during the Midnight Ramble at the Kentucky Center of the Arts. I instantly was mesmerized and inspired. For years, I've listened to their albums while hiking and running.

A month ago, I saw that they were performing at the Quick Center at Fairfield University and I immediately grabbed a ticket. I contacted the Director of the Quick, who graciously gave me complimentary tickets for 3 youth from Ubuntu Academy. I was with Akbar, Omar, and Juma during the rally for immigrants and refugees in Bridgeport during the day, so they seemed the perfect candidates to attend the concert.

Akbar performed "I Wish" as part of the ceremony and was his usual stellar self. I almost missed the rally because the first date was cancelled due to weather. I am glad I learned of the new date because the rally was extremely powerful, with people having to stand outside of the room where the speeches were being made: churches, synagogues, and mosques united with IICONN to have a conversation about the importance of immigration not only to the United States, but for the base of all their religious ideologies. The message was clear - we must love and look out for the tired, the poor, and the hungry. Love wins. Love should win. Even with hate in the hearts of many around us, love must be remembered.

As Ladysmith Black Mimbazo celebrated the triumph of Nelson Mandela in South Africa and his legacy to people all around the world, I couldn't help but feel extremely emotional by the rally and concert yesterday. Dance, song, performance and peace is the message. We are better human beings when united with one another.

I know it is spring break at Fairfield University but I'm heading into the office. There's simply too much to be done to counter the narrative being spread through vicious means across the United States. As yesterday reminded me, good only triumphs when good people join hands and remind others of the power of doing what is right.


No comments:

Post a Comment