Tuesday, May 2, 2017

It Wasn't All Bills! My Mailbox Thanks You, @SenatorDuff


There's a ritual on Mt. Pleasant that requires me to get out of my car, meander to the mailbox, and find out what shenanigans advertisers and collectors are up to these days. Now that my Sock of the Month gifts have ended (I'm wearing my Squid socks today - thanks, sis!), I'm used to the predictable disappointment of flyers, BJs and Kohl's coupons, and bills, bills, and more bills.

Receiving letters seems like a blast from the past.

That is why I was startled by the professional looking off-white envelope that came in yesterday's mail. I caught a glimpse of the golden seal, but  quickly moved it to the back of the pile in fear of what it could be. Official letters with gold lettering  usually mean certified mail and bad news. I scratched my head and thought, "I had jury duty in January.  Is there something Chitunga hasn't told me?" 

I shuffled away the ads for greener grass and pizza, and moved the United Illuminated bill to be placed in the yet-to-be-paid pile on the kitchen table. Eventually the inevitable happened and the thicker envelope came to the surface. I looked at my dog and said, "Well, here it is." 

Ah. It was from State of Connecticut Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff of Norwalk and Darien. Since I've arrived to Connecticut he's been a tremendous supporter of the writing project and the work we do with kids. He's a tremendous champion of literacy initiatives in the state and I was extremely proud to receive a letter from him, especially about this:

Dear Dr. Crandall Bryan 
 Congratulations on receiving the Elizabeth M. Pfriem Civic Leadership Award from the Fairfield Community Foundation and the Bridgeport Public Education Fund! I am very happy to hear the news. I regret that commitments in Hartford prevent me from being present on May 3 to congratulate you in person. 
Your involvement and advocacy on behalf of those you serve at the Connecticut Writing Project are well known. The award represents the teachers and students from the area and around the world that you have touched. You may not be completely aware of the impact you’ve had on our schools in the area and the teachers who you’ve helped to “recharge” through your programs. Truly, this recognition is well deserved and well earned.

Once again, please accept my warmest congratulations. I wish you the very best on this day and look forward to speaking with you soon. 
Congratulations, My friend!
Senator Bob Duff with CWP-Fairfield Teachers, 2014
(Darien, Norwalk, Greenwich, Westport, Bridgeport, Redding
and Dar Salaam, Tanzania)
He signed it "Bob," of course.
(When I learned that the Governor of Connecticut was not seeking reelection I sent a quick note note to Senator Duff to say, "I've got your back should you ever want to run." It's not his intention, but I remain a fan because he looks out for teachers. He looks out for students. He pays attention to his communities).

The letter touched me, especially with the news of the award and the time he took to send a note (I'd hang it on my wall, but guess what? I go up for tenure this year...it's totally going into my dossier).

I am feeling thankful and proud for the work I'm able to do with so many. The recognition simply inspires me to work harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment