Friday, May 19, 2017

In One Spring Swoop (Easter to May) We've Visited All 4 Grandparents

In April, Chitunga, my mother and I were able to visit the graves of Grandma and Grandpa Ripley. We went to Hamilton, New York, and also had lunch in Sherburne, so he could see Butch grew up. It was a special day for me, and I'm sure it was a special day for my mother, too.

Yesterday, after hiking at Montauk Point, eating lunch, and sightseeing, we stopped by SportsTime - East Hampton Sports Camp to see my cousin in preparation for summer, then drove further east to St. Luke's Episcopal Church where my Grandma and Grandpa Crandall's ashes are buried. I wasn't the one who found the plaques, but Chitunga did. We had a little moment where I shared memories of them both and we absorbed the blue sky, the beautiful grounds, the birds singing and the ocean breeze. There are definitely more rough places one might spend an eternal life. Their souls are in Sherburne, of course, but they are also part of East Hampton, which is pretty remarkable as far as stories go.

I also love this photo because it is our hands (with my crooked finger) and his shoe - the photo has to be flawed somehow.

Afterwards, we attended Nezi's spring tales show, then went to my Aunt and Uncle's for dinner. I realized as we ate that Nezi, Zola, and Chitunga Crandall all have odd names. It makes sense, though - when you consider love, my cousin's work, and the work that I've been fortunate enough to do.

In 2002, I don't think any of our lives could have been predicted. I was showing Chitunga photographs of Mark and I in our early 20s and 30s...seems like yesterday we were post-college hippies.

And, Chitunga received news today that FACHEX, a Fairfield University benefit to attend LeMoyne College, is covering the $32,000 tuition. That is a tremendous relief for us all. The loans will still be substantial, but they won't be what we originally anticipated. He looked at me and simply said, "I don't think you'll be leaving Fairfield any time soon."

Um, I guess not (and he's in a 5 year program to finish with his Masters degree).

Great day yesterday. It feel great to see my grandparents' names again.

No comments:

Post a Comment