Tuesday, January 17, 2017

We'rrrre Baaack! Not Even Going To Count How Many Days Ahead

It's true. I'm only going over the syllabus tonight. Actually, I work it so there's a lot of game play and interaction that sets up the rhythm and flow of the semester (and I still long for another 60 minutes in my graduate classes, as Fairfield cuts them to two hours over three).

I've been back at it since the 28th, but do know that once classes begin, it's like the return of the 3rd and 4th job (it's then when I get overwhelmed). Granted, last semester wiped me out and I returned only to learn that even more work is falling to me. In anticipation of all the work coming my way, I've simply put 14 hour days in over the holiday break. I'm sort of getting close to being semi-on top of all that needs to be done. I know this will crumble really quickly.

One syllabus is done (tonight's) and there's another one needing to be tuned for tomorrow. I uploaded all materials for a College-Ready Writers grant and will submit that on Wednesday. This morning, I'm heading to IICONN to work on another grant in support of Ubuntu Academy, as we were given permission to submit for a rather competitive grant.

I put chicken in the crockpot (honey, basil, soy, and tomatoes) so there will be food tonight. The laundry pile will wait until Wednesday when I have a second to process all the clothes that Chitunga has washed before his departure. I think he will tackled most of it, but I'm looking forward to seeing the washer and dryer again.

It's strange, but I still get nervous when kicking off a new semester...it's like I'm anticipating this is the year they'll call me out for being the fool that I am (or it will finally be the semester when I hit my breaking point of having more and more work placed on me...I'm monitoring my health because I already know too much is too much).

And I will cherish the last few weeks when I didn't put on a monkey suit, but did most of my work in running pants, sweatshirts, and hoodies. If only this was my teaching uniform.

Man, I woke up at 6 a.m. yawning. I think this will go with me all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment