Monday, January 9, 2017

Turns Out I Know One Thing About Hollywood. Not Much

After the Giants game (cough cough - if only they showed up to it), everyone started to watch The Golden Globes. I looked up from time to time, and had to admit, "I don't know what any of these shows are...I've never heard of these people...wait, these channels exist?"

Occasionally I'd see someone in the audience that looked familiar, including Nicole Kidman who looked like she had her face done by the baker at Krispi Creme Donut. Scary looking, indeed. I also knew Deadpool and I shouted for that. Actually, every time I heard of something being nominated I'd jump up and say, "Oh, I'm cultured! I'm cultured!"

I guess that is why I'm sad that I missed Tracy Ellis Ross's win for her role in Blackish. I have seen that show and she cracks me up. I know she went through Greenwich schools, too, and I think she has marvelous faces and personality in her role on that show. I applauded her when I saw it on social media, but I didn't see her win. I came downstairs and said, "Yo! Did you see that Tracy....?"

Of course they saw it. They were watching it.

Not sure why, but awards shows have never been my thing: so much money, the ridiculousness of fashion, the ego of actors and performances. I just don't get it (other than they recognize how lucky they are to be paid to do what they do, so when they get an extra award, guild kicks in and they feel even more emotional - I'm not sure).

I could do without the whole award thing, though. I suppose I should care (actually, the Kennedy Awards sometimes catches my attention), but the Golden Globe, Oscar things. Hmmmm

I'm missing the gene to find any of it interesting. I do pay attention, but it's not a stop-everything for the event kind of thing. Maybe that's why I don't know who anyone is anymore...That world is simply not on my radar. I'd rather be the people working with refugee youth in S. Sudan (as that one actor alluded to) than the person making the movie to entertain them...."But my movie gave them a little ease in their difficult life."

Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment