Sunday, January 1, 2017

We're Never Going To Survive, Unless We Get a Little Crazy

Welcome, 2017. After the crazy year of 2016, I imagined there's no way to survive unless I get a little crazy with it, too - hence, this year's focus. The more I know about the world (and our living in it) the crazier it all becomes. It's as Seal sings,
Miracles will happen as we trip / But we're never gonna survive unless / We get a little crazy / No, We're never gonna survive unless / We are a little / Cray cray crazy.
Part of me wanted to name the blog this year "Curmudgeon Crandall" because I get cynical and grumpy at the turn of the new year, but I realize it is simply the December 31st to January 1st ritual that agitates me. I've been try to pinpoint why I hate the holiday so much and I simply have concluded that it is because I'm simply exhausted. The year before, followed by the holidays, wipes me out, and as a reflective individual, I get overwhelmed by Old Lang Syne and the nostalgia that comes at the drop of the Times Square ball. In truth, I simply want a good night's rest.

I did get out for dinner and a glass or two of beverages, but all I could think about was my pillows (thanks Mom, aiming for that hotel feel) and the comfort of my gnome blanket that Casey made for me several years ago.

The kid is out being a kid and I did my lecturing of safety, intelligence, and acting with tomorrow in mind. I know it is my nature to toss and turn until he's home, but he's a good guy and can be trusted. I hope his driver can be trusted, too (besides, he's going to the Bills/Jets game in Jersey in the morning, so he has extra reasons to be cautious).

I went to Kaitlyn's house before returning home last night and found the indoor plant Chitunga and I bought her as a housewarming gift. It sat upon a mantle by her t.v.

I thought about this little nugget of love and the fact that it is doing very well in a condo that sees very little sunlight (actually none in the room where it is displayed). She seems happy, and that is what it's all about - who'd of thought such a plant could do so well without the rays of the great golden orb.

Crazy.

But love. And home. And friendship. And family.

That's what it is all about.

Knowing, too, that this is my 10th year of online journaling before going to bed (probably my 25th year of daily writing in such a way - just this is more public), I'm feeling like the life thing goes a little too fast. Didn't we just celebrate the turn to 2016? Won't we be celebrating the oncoming of 2018 like tomorrow? Weren't we just partying like it was 1999?

Nope, we cannot survive unless we get a little crazy - and knowing that I'm trekking on another 365 of composing before sleep, I'm realizing that I might just be crazier than most.

Happy New Year, 2017! I am wishing everyone the best.

1 comment: