Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I Guess Mondays Are Better With Football. I'm Semi-Sold

After a day in the office, out in schools, and behind the computer, I came home, chose to do the gym for an hour, then met up with David Wooley, teacher in Stamford, and his wife, Kris Sealy, who is a philosophy professor at the University. Our mission was to first help Isaiah complete his summer writing for POW!, but also to bond on a Monday night over college football.

I'm guess that Kris was simply being a good sport. I knew Tunga and I were going to watch the Alabama/Clemson game, and Dave was likely to check it out, but somehow we talked Kris into joining us. It' took a little writing time with her son, too, and she was in - although she chose bedtime/story time as halftime approached.

Chitunga has turned me back onto college and NFL football, once again, and now I have another vice to add to my basketball fanaticism. I don't like that games last four hours, but I am loving the competition and the sport. It's a nice distraction for Sundays/Mondays, too, although I imagine it will die quickly as the semester comes closer (and the season ends). I mean, who has time to spend 4.5 hours on a Monday night watching a mindless sport....I don't, but I can pretend I do.

I think the holiday break is a great sampling of what life might be if I didn't do what I'm hired to do. I can watch television with a side eye as I'm prepping for the next day's work, and I can fantasize about what life would be like to simply give such mindless commitment to such a vice on a regular basis. Not my world, but I can think about it, no?

Either way, I watched the National College Championship game between Alabama and Clemson and heartd the sights and whoops of Chitunga as he analyzed every second of the game (especially as Clemson scored). I'm a better man for it, too, although I sit back writing, reading, and doing other work. Still, I watch the game out of the corner of my eye and last night's game was a good game....even kept me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment