Saturday, February 4, 2017

Believe There Is Good In the World: Be The Good

In one of the schools I'm working with this year, a small, textual mural makes me smile. It is simple: believe there is good in the world and/or be the good.

Like hope, good is another of those words that I like to think deeply about...take away an 'o' and you get God, who I hope is taking care of all of us (the Great Whatever who oversees all faith and spirituality in the world).

I got home last night ready to dig into grading, but after another long day in the office doing dossier work, my brain simply fizzled out. I got a few groceries, vacuumed and mopped, then sat down to stare into space.

Then I heard a ding. It was a grant I wrote last semester - a notification that it was funded. My first reaction on a Friday night when I was feeling extremely overwhelmed and fried was, "Oh, no. Not more work." This morning, I woke up feeling excited about the possibilities that will come from it.

$30,000 more and I will hit the 1/2 million dollar mark in grant writing since I arrived to Fairfield University. With this comes organization, planning, professional development data collection, budgeting, and reporting. I've been semi-strategic to turn the work into presentations and publication, too. I'm still waiting on a $90,000 grant that I'd really love, but that is a GIGANTIC crap shoot. Only time will tell on that one.

Okay, time to tackle this Saturday thing...I promise to be the good if you will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment