Wednesday, August 23, 2017

So @NikkiIsgar, With Love For You, Your Mom and @ContempColor

A couple of years ago, while eating chili and macaroni and cheese (that is winter guard food, I suppose) in gymnasiums across the country), my older sister, mom and I had the fortune of meeting David Byrne who was at a New Jersey regional building a foundation for a musical event he envisioned for Toronto and New York City. The vision was Contemporary Color and my niece, who competed first for the Northstars of Cicero-North Syracuse, and then for the Brigadiers (who were invited to participate) was to be part of the performance.

The Brigadiers had a great show that year and she and her teammates were extremely excited to participate in David Byrne's vision. For my mom, brother-in-law, and older sister, a special trip to the Barclay Center in New York City also added to
the excitement (although my ease/pace with navigating the city sparked a fight with my older sister that I wasn't anticipating...I left them to find my mom and I in a pub while it was pouring outside).

Mom did great the entire day (which, well, we tend not to expect because, well, history and mishaps typically occur with her on such occasions). Mom managed Metro North, the NYC subway system, and the foot traffic of Brooklyn like a professional tourist, guard mom, and determined grandma. The show, as a live performance, was also spectacular, especially because part of the show narrated the history of the sport and the musicians/performers represented an eclectic, diverse arrangement of musical arrangements and stories. They were asked to create audio to accompany the shows that were already completed (and competed) throughout the season. The performers simply had to adjust their equipment work to match the new music/audio they were given. It was a fun experience for all, especially those who have been part of the @WGI world. Actually, it was incredible.

The music and concept, however, was peculiar, in a good way, just like the artistry of David Byrne and the passion of all those who compete in the sport. The Crandalls have a long history with marching units as my dad competed with the Brigadiers marching band, my older sister competed with the Northstars, and Nikki followed in both of their traditions. For those who know that world, the opportunity to work with David Byrne, Nelly Furtado, Money Mark & Ad-Rock, Zola Jesus, Dev Hymes, Tune Yards, Ira Glass, How To Dress Well, Lucius, St. Vincent, and Nico Muhly was somewhat astounding. As many said in the movie, it was unimaginable.

This weekend, while de-stressing from academic work and two, 14-hour days of analyzing data and writing, I pressed the On-Demand button, and what appeared for $4.95? Well, Contempoary Color. So, I ordered it. Actually, I got a beer from the fridge and settled in.

I heard reviews from CNY that it wasn't what was expected, but I viewed it and absolutely loved it. Why? I loved the artistry of the production/documentary, the odd arrangements, the interpretative moves of cinematography and the togetherness.  Would I do it different? Of course. But I am all for multiple variations of sharing what is possible.

It was interesting to me to see production choices and to question why they chose to present the color guard movement as they did. I couldn't find fault with their version, especially with knowledge of the sport, the practice it takes, the emotions that go into it, and the interpretation of music through movement, twirling rifles, flags, sabers, and dance. It was extra special, too, to see my niece and her teammates on the big screen (well, my small television that everyone makes fun of). I thought it was beautiful and having over 30 years of memory in gyms and from shows, I was touched by the 'narration.' The Mechanicsburg floor dads hit it out of the park - they were real (as my memory as a floor uncle taught me). Remember Phoenix when we unraveled the mat upside down, Mike?). My niece's coaches do.

I was thumbs up for the movie, even emotional at times, and most definitely proud of my niece and the others who put so much into the artistry. I still love the Ira Glass portion best (both live and in film), but that may because I'm partial to words, storytelling, and radio shows (having met him at Syracuse University during my doctoral studies). I love the way his brain works.

I don't take breaks too often, yet throughout my life I've allowed the winter guard world of my family  become a temporary pause in the pace I keep - an excuse of sorts (I wonder how many books I actually read in the gymnasiums of Syracuse in the years Nikki went from JV to Varsity?).

In a constantly conflicted world of those who wish to restrict, confine, draw lines, and place parameters, I'm thrilled by those that promote outside-the-box thinking and performance. Everything about Contemporary Color achieved this and that is why I say, "Bravo." Keep the interpretations, choreography, precision, creativity, and beauty coming. Keep the @WGI world peculiar.

And with that, I'm going back to my office to nerd out some more, imagining the universe with choreographed interpretations and athletic colorfulness.


No comments:

Post a Comment