Monday, August 21, 2017

No Solar Eclipse on My Radar (But I am Wishing All Who Admire Well)

Strange marble we live on, with all the strife and chaos of day to day life (and I wish I had goggles and time to stare at the sun and moon today at around 2 p.m.).

Alas, my goal in my two-day, weekend drive to accomplish dossier completion was not fulfilled, so I will be hunkered over my laptop for many more hours trying to make sense of the work, the earth, as I've known it the last several years.

I'm excited for the eclipse, but need to prioritize my personal agenda to get the materials together that I've set out to analyze since CWP-Fairfield's summer work ended. I'm getting there, but the time it takes to mine the publication, service, and teaching doesn't happen as quickly as I thought/hoped/wished it might. Phew! It's exhausting (and distracting from actually getting work done!)

This is the nature of the work we do, however. It's all good. I'll have time for intergalactic miracles at a later date I suppose. I'm delighted to even have space on this marble to process the miniature influence I might have (which is slight).

On another note, I'm thrilled that my perennials are in full bloom and providing nectar for hummingbirds and migrating monarchs, buckeyes, and swallowtails. When I think about it, I'm prouder of the time I took to put greenery into the ground that is currently providing sustainability for bug life. That I feel is a tremendous accomplishment. Grants and conference presentations - not so much. Feeding nymphs...miraculous.

Be good to your eyes today people. It's not worth blinding yourself. Enjoy the phenomenon, but remember that studying and watching it is one thing, but CREATING phenomena for yourself is something else entirely. Invest in the possibilities of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment