Thursday, August 24, 2017

Did I Win? Did I Win? Did I Win? Win What? Anything? It Would Be Nice.

What do you think? Was it me? I bought tickets on Sunday when it was at 480 million, but it's gone up some (and yes, I know it is a crapshoot, but it might as well be me).

Actually, I got to thinking about numbers and did some simple math to learn that this incredible win for the individual who gets it (it will change their life), is only a fraction of what is spent on protecting a president year to year, especially when they have so much property. Oof. Here was thinking that 700 plus (400 take home) was a chunk of change that could really make a difference, but then I learn that, to put it in perspective, it is what is spent to employ protection for the leaders of our nation. Punk change!

Yikes.

Seriously. If it goes to a winner, I hope it goes to someone who deserves it. I know what I'd do: I'd invest in the National Writing Project and, perhaps, founding a school like the Brown that would carry forth a mission of democracy, inclusion, diversity, and high standards. Alas. I will have to do what I do what (appreciated) grant at a time.

But if you won, and I didn't, would you give me a call? I was thinking about what I might do for schools, yes, but also what I would do for my family --- might even take the first real vacation in 6 years....like one where I really do relax.

Ah, the dreams they tease us with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment