Friday, March 17, 2017

She Watches Me Work And Acts As If She's Okay With It

Glamis, Stella the Nor'Easter
My dog shouldn't hate me. It got to 40 degrees today and I promise that if it is above freezing, I will walk her...and I did.

Then I returned home to work, but for a little while I walked her. This is a photo from earlier this week when no one was going outside. I love that she got so comfortable.

Grant Submission - Check
Conference Attendance - Check
DC NWP Annual Meeting - Check
PD Rearranged - Check
Article Submission - Check
Phone Call with Ol' Student - Check

One of my students from yesteryear has found voice late in life and been actively pursuing a screenwriting career. He's doing other work, too, including raising a family, but he's continuing his dream to write for the big screen. He asked me to look over his latest work and I agreed - "If you don't send it during my spring break, I'm unlikely to ever look at it."

It is amazing to read from a kid from almost 12 years ago. I love that he's still writing and willing to share his latest thinking with me. As I told him, it's not my movie genre or world, but I was super impressed with what he was trying to do. I had suggestions (that's the teacher in me) and I became intrigued with the possibility of that world. I haven't a clue how one breaks in.

Ah, but it made me wonder if I could find my acrostics from the class of 2005. I found them (having written an acrostic for every kid I've ever taught)
in the tree, walnuts. never claimed to be otherwise,
admit it, odd, peculiar, seedlings they are, pink elephants
not meant to fit in all family trees.

but through the leaves the sun is focused,
on those of us pushing the boulders uphill,
living to fulfill dreams which
grow in the garden of a hip-hop, flip-flop life. the
evolution takes time, like the music in our heads,
racing - a squirrel who plays chicken on the highway of life, but prevails.
And I realize it was squirrel. I knew he had to have a name. That's the way the pond worked back then.

IT'S FRIDAY! Okay, that means I'm not leaving my house until I get the rest of my spring break goals completed - after all, I have to think ahead to teaching again next week.

Be well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment