Saturday, March 25, 2017

A Good Night Sleep Before Another Day of Excellent Work

In my dream life, I have a great bed with awesome pillows to rest my wary head.

I have to say that my Washington Court Hotel room meets all my requirements: great pillows, soft bed, and restful space to process all that the College-Ready Writers program has to offer.

It is wonderful to be part of a national movement that pulls together incredible resources from some of the best educators in the nation. Today, I had the first day with with incredible educators from Connecticut, processing the art of argumentative writing to offer this, that and the other angle of what we might know as truth.

Halfway though the professional development a colleague said, "But wait, this work promotes processes over product - this seems to good to be true."

It is good and it is true. The work were trying to accomplish is much more complicated than a one-shot session of teacher professional development. This work is about thinking critically about the power of argumentation and what we do in K-12 schools.

Last night, however, I realized that my argument is about a nice bed to rest my head. I was exhausted, but it was good exhaustion, because it modeled the writing processes it takes to be strong, to be informed, to be intellectual, and to be informed.

Today will finish my last day of PD and I am forever grateful. Here's to the National Writing Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment